Updated processing time for U.S. passports. Customers can apply at our office for routine and expedited services. As of September 23, 2021, routine service can take up to 16 weeks and expedited service (for an additional $60.00) can take up to 12 weeks.

For the latest passport information on Passport Services operations, please visit their website at

  • Completed passport applications are accepted until 2:30 p.m. Please have a check or money order.
  • Passports are valid for 10 years if age 16 or older and 5 years if age 15 or younger.
  • Please inquire with the Gratiot County Register of Deeds for current processing times.

New Applications

  • Passport Applications may be obtained from the County Register of Deed’s Office or downloaded from
  • Proof of US citizenship in the form of a certified birth certificate, previous undamaged passport or Naturalization certificate.
  • Proof of Identity (Photo ID) - Includes a valid drivers’ license, Government or Military ID.
  • One passport quality photo (photo can be taken at County of Register of Deed’s Office for $12)
  • Appropriate Fees (See fees listed below) 

Note:  If a previous passport has been lost or stolen, an additional form will need to be completed pertaining to that passport.  This form can be obtained at the County Register of Deed’s Office or downloaded from

Minor Child between the Ages of 16-17 

  • Appear in person at the time of application.
  • Have a parent or guardian present photo identification if the minor does not have identification of his or her own.
  • Establish parental consent (you may be requested to provide written parental consent for a child age 16 or 17 if it is not implied on the application.) 

Minor Child 15 Years of Age and Younger 

  • Both parents must be present with the child at the time of application along with their photo identification.
  • Each minor child applying for a passport book and/or passport card must appear in person.
  • Submit evidence of relationship – certified US Birth Certificate or certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parent’s names OR Minor’s Report of Birth Abroad with both parent’s names OR Adoption Decree with adoption parent’s names OR Court Order establishing custody or guardianship

If only one parent appears you must also submit one of the following: 

  • Non-appearing parent’s notarized written statement, consenting to passport issuance for the child with copy of their photo identification, primary evidence of sole authority to apply, OR a written statement (made under penalty of perjury) explaining the non-appearing parent’s unavailability. 

A parent with sole custody must appear in person with the minor and submit evidence of sole authority to apply for the child.

Passport Card

The passport card facilitates entry and expedites documents processing at U.S. land and sea ports-of entry when arriving from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda.  The card may not be used to travel by air.  Otherwise, it carries the rights and privileges of the U.S. passport book and is adjudicated to the exact same standards.

Renewal Applications

Answer yes to all of these questions to determine if you are able to use a renewal form: 

  • Can I submit my most recent U.S. Passport?
  • Was I at least 16 when my most recent U.S. Passport was issued?
  • Was my most recent U.S. Passport issued less than 15 years ago?
  • Do I use the same name as on my most recent U.S. Passport or have I had my name changed by marriage or court order an can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change? 

If you answer no to any of these questions, please follow instructions for a new application listed above. 


  • Renewal Application- May be obtained from the County Register of Deed’s Office or downloaded from
  • Most recent passport that was issued less than 15 years ago.
  • Certified marriage license or certified court order of name change, if applicable.
  • Appropriate Fees
  • Two identical passport quality photos (photos can be taken at Register of Deed’s Office for $12)
  • Mail to address listed on application 

For further information visit


Please visit the Passport Fee Page to learn more about fees associated with passport applications.